Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pizza made by hand


IMG_8172, originally uploaded by Pink Lady on the Loose!.
I made pizza from scratch yesterday (Monday, but I had taken the day off). I used to make pizza dough with the bread machine all the time back when I had one, but this is the first time I've made pizza dough by hand. The pizza was really delicious and now I want to make it again soon - maybe next weekend. The topping was three different kinds of cheese (Edam, Gran Moravia and Feta) and olives. I also made the tomato sauce from scratch (albeit from puree and not from fresh or canned tomatoes). But I let it simmer for nearly two hours, which makes a big difference.

My first ever job title was actually "Pizza Maker" at Canada's Wonderland (an amusement park) near Toronto, Canada. But there, the pizza dough and the tomato sauce were ready-made, so I only prepped other ingredients (grated cheese, tomatoes, lettuce), made caesar salad and - mostly - put together the pizzas, which was done at lightning speed. And then of course I baked them as well. The funny thing is that I didn't even like pizza at that time. Now of course it's one of my favourite things to eat. I only wish that in my job as Pizza Maker I would've also learnt to make the dough the Italian way, i.e. to twirl it in the air, etc. Oh well, maybe I'll need to work in a pizzeria in Italy some day. Then again, maybe you need a degree in pizza making to work at an Italian pizzeria - it's an art form there.

No comments:

Post a Comment